Lesson 1: Look at the front cover of the book and discuss:
- What do you think this book will be about?
- What is the title of this book?
- Why do you think the author used the words ‘hog’ and ‘hedge’ inthe title?
- What does the word ‘hog’ mean?
- Where can you find the meaning if you don’t know?
- Who do you think is the main character?
- How do you think the hedgehog is feeling?
- Why do you think that?
Read the Blurb:
What does the illustration show?
What time of year do you think the story is set in? Why do you
What does the word ‘hibernation’ mean?
What does the word ‘unexpected’ mean?
What do you think these visitors will do in the book?
- Do you think people would still choose to read the book if there wasn’t a picture on the front cover? Why or why not?
- Have you read any other books about hedgehogs?
- What sort of text were they?
Challenge! Children draw what they think will happen in the story.